|History for Magnificent Yankees ||Utica, NY |
The Magnificent Yankees, formed in 1939 and reorganized in 1960, was a junior marching and maneuvering corps based in Utica, New York. They were sponsored by Utica American Legion Post 229.|
The corps’ colors were red, white, and black.
The Magnificent Yankees won titles in the Hudson-Berkshire Circuit, New York-Canadian Circuit, and New York State American Legion Circuit in the mid-1960s. Signature tunes were “John Henry” and “Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.” One of its staffers was “Pappa” Joe Berthold, who had been active in drum corps for 60 years.
The corps merged with the Syracuse Marauders in 1975 to form the Yankee Marauders.
[Encyclopedia of Drum and Bugle Corps, 1966; rec.arts.marching.drumcorps]
Hosted by Modotech, Inc.
- specializing in Internet applications for insurance.